The day has come when it's time to send my little girl off into the depths of public education. I have thought about it for years...weeks...and now days leading up to the big first day. Would I be sad? Crying uncontrollably? I didn't really think so, but I did feel a little like holding on to her and hoping that maybe it would slow down the time for just a little bit longer. After a very enjoyable summer filled with trips, and fun outings, crafts, and togetherness it was time for the first day. K and I had talked about it a lot during the summer. About 2 weeks prior to her first departure on the big yellow bus she started getting uneasy about the whole thought of school. She started out by saying that she just wanted to stay home with me and E. As the days passed it got worse and worse....each time she was a little bit more forceful and a little bit more determined that her KDG year was going to be spent exactly like she had spent the last 3 months. She did not want to go to school, and she was not excited.
Finally a few days before she was to meet her teacher as I was talking to her about school she stuck her fingers in her ears and said that she wasn't going to listen any more about going to school. First I was really mad that she did that, but it was kinda funny....and then my heart broke because she was so excited about preschool. She has such a good experience there and was so excited about the first day. Why would this be any different??
So when we went to meet the teacher I wasn't surprised that she pretend to be a mute. I was hoping for a typical KDG teacher. Well, that's not what we got. I have high hopes that will change as the year progresses cause I would hate to get all "teacher" on her if I had to. :)
So that experience didn't really help get her any more excited about the year that she was going to have to endure.
So when her first day finally came she started out the day whining about going. No surprise there. Lynn and I were very sing songy about how great the day was going to bed, even though the weather (it was raining) was really portraying how we all really felt inside. Ok, ok...maybe not Lynn, but def me!!
As we waited for the bus I could see in her face that she was very nervous about going. I was nervous for her, but I promised that E and I would meet her at school when she got off the bus so she could find her room. So as she stepped on the bus E and I jumped in the car and drove to school. On the ride E said.....K hold you....(translation...K hold me) Mommy, I sad. Even E knew that our days were going to be different.
As we got to school there were a million buses with a million kids. I waited and waited for her to get off and she never did, so I went to her classroom. No K. By this time I was frantic and called Lynn. He thought I was playing a joke on him. While I was on the phone with him the school nurse called and said she had K in the office. Turns out K has a nervous stomach, and I guess that means she throws up. Which in turn means she can't stay at school. Which means that yes, she missed her first day of KDG because the wouldn't let her stay. Now, I could go ahead and insert here everything that I said that day because I was so very mad, but I don't want to really re-live that all again so I won't. Let's just say that I was NOT HAPPY.
Day 2....started the same except the sun was shining....K's attitude was not. No throwing up on this day, but the bus driver bringing her home didn't drop her off after school. 45 minutes later, daddy was late for a meeting back at work and E and I were starving for some lunch and K was finally dropped off. The driver redeemed himself by calling later that night. We finally got to eat her cake since she actually WENT to school.
Day 3....This morning started out by her throwing up AT the bus stop instead of on the bus....great, at least we are making some progress! She enjoyed her ride to school, and was happy to get home on time. Day 4 We didn't have any issues today, HOORAY!!! But, sadly it's Friday which means that we will have to start all of this all again on Monday.
I want to like her teacher.....she says she does. Maybe she is a teacher that relates better to students than parents. That's what I'm going to assume until I like her. I still haven't cried about her leaving, I'm just glad it's not a full day...then I might! E and I have been busy every single day, and he says he likes playing with just me. And I couldn't be happier about that, he really is a different kid when she isn't around, kinda funny how that works out.
So, here's to wishing my brave little girl 35 more weeks of happy times until we can have another entire summer together playing at the park, going on vacations and swimming!!!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness, what a rough start!!! Poor girl!! I'll pray for her and hopefully she'll end up loving every minute of it!!
I am counting down the seconds to when Hayden goes to school...he's driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I will still cry on his first day and on Case's....
Case and I love the time we have together alone...they are different kids when they're by themselves!!:)
cute cake by the way!!
Post a Comment