Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's the Food Olympics!

Or the Olympics of food.....
I decided it would be fun to venture out and try new cuisine from different countries during the Olympics. After some research I came up with so many new things from new countries to try we actually will be eating "internationally" after the Olympics too!

We started our opening ceremony with an ode to ITALY......Spaghetti!


Then on Saturday it was on to JAPAN......Kobe Beef...ok, well not really Kobe Beef, but nonetheless KC strip steaks hand cut by Lynn. We also threw in some FRANCE with the sparkling grape juice. It was our Valentines dinner, so we were celebrating..hence the candles. We started doing candlelit dinners every once in awhile. The candles are great fun for the kids, and it really changes the mood of dinner. The kids kept clinking their glasses and saying cheers. I hope it's not teaching them to drink, jeez.




On Sunday we went all USA. Yes, it's pizza.....but it's not the kind of pizza that you eat in Italy. It was actually Valentines Day....which is such an American holiday...so the kids helped me make heart shaped pizza. It was good, really good.

Monday was a tribute to GREAT BRITAIN. We had Bangers and Mash. Sounds gross, but it's sausage with mashed potatoes and onion gravy. All was good except the gravy. Somehow it got sweet, and that's just not right.

Tuesday was part of our heritage.......GERMANY! The kids helped me make Bierocks. I hated them growing up. In fact when they served them at school I called them bird rocks and went home hungry. I wonder if they are still on the lunch rotation? The kids actually did a great job today patting the dough and pinching it up. They are great little Russian Germans.....and they gobbled them up for dinner, a good sign I'm hoping that they can take a little piece of where they came from with them when they grow up.
More menus to come in a few days!!!

No comments: