We have cats. Neo and Noel, who pretty much take care of themselves, and I take care of their vomit and poop.
We have a $0.26 Wal-Mart gold fish, who has grown to 7 inches long in a 10 gallon tank. Which Lynn and I feed 2 times a day.
We have various roly polys under rocks in our flowerbeds, and an occasional s-n-a-k-e...yuck.
But....my favorite the last few weeks is our ducks.
Now, those of you that have known me for years know that when Lynn and I first met I bought some orange ducks for my classroom. I don't know what the heck I was thinking either. God, they were a mess.....but the kids loved them, and they loved the kids. Daisy and Donald had a good life, and were adopted by my parents and released into the wild at Island Park. Yes, we have pictures of the event. Even though they released them they would go down there and feed them.....crazy.
Now, I have my own ducks.....ok ok, WE have our own ducks. We have lived here for 8 years, our house backs up to a pond for goodnesssakes, and oh how I have longed to have pet ducks again, but these Wichita ducks are snooty, and not a single one of them wanted to befriend me, until 2 weeks ago.
We had gone on a walk, and while we were on this walk a group of about 11 or so ducks started to follow us...well, me.....cause I kept saying here ducky ducky follow me. Well, they did. I thought that they would stop, but they didn't. Of course the kids are just giggling and thinking that its so great to get this close to wild ducks.
So, we had to feed them.
Anyway, that was like I said a few weeks ago. Sometimes they all show up at the back fence. Mostly it's the same 3. Who, might I add aren't very scared of us any more. Sunday, those 3 stayed outside the fence until they saw us coming out, and then they started to go right through the fence to meet us. They talk to us, really they do. They are always very polite and thank us for the food.....which has been bread and oatmeal.
I just think that it's fun that I don't really have to take care of them, and they can still be considered a pet.......anyone want a black cat that throws up?
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment