Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What do you say?

We've tried to teach our kids good manners, and most of the time they are pretty decent about saying please and thank you. So yesterday as I was cleaning the garage and K and E were "helping" I had asked K to move some stuff off of the microwave cart and into a box. Simple request, would take no time to do.
She stood there and looked at me. Like she was thinking really really hard. So I looked back. And then my eyes got bigger....you know....when you don't have to say anything more, you just get bigger eyes....I guess I never really thought about it, but really my bigger eyes mean I said something, and you'd better do it....NOW.
And she looked at me...
And looked.
"Kira, I need you to move the stuff......
"Mommy, what do you say?"
At this point I wanted to say....."Now dammit, move this crap." But, instead I said...."Silly Mommy, I'm sorry I should have said please move that stuff to the box."
Looking back on it, it sounds a little like a Jim Faye story. I should be happy that she is expecting manners at all times, but I'm not going to say anymore, "What do you say?" when someone does something for my kids or gives them something. I'm just going to give them "the eye" because I sure don't want Kira to ever say to me again, "Mommy....what do you say?"

2 comments:

Michele packer said...

Okay, that is too funny. I guess you have to watch what you say around the little ones.

Traci said...

that's hilarious!!!!

they think they know everything, don't they!!! :)